Thursday, September 5, 2013

Daily Dose: A Different Kind of School Year - Lysa TerKeurst

"You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." Ephesians 4:22-24 (NIV)

As I read through this devotion, I kept thinking, "Manda, bite your tongue." And then I'd think of a time when I didn't. Boo. 

You see, I keep having this issue. And I know God keeps putting things in my path to help me work on it. I keep snapping at Brian, when I should be speaking kind and encouraging words. (After all, he's my husband and the provider and protector of our family.) I can think of a time this very day. Ugh, how crazy am I? I was upset about something from yesterday morning...so what did I do? 

Well, nothing that I wish to share, because I really didn't react the way I should have. Instead I was snarky to him. A bit sarcastic (apparently it's my first language, not my second, ahem.) He's so relaxed and takes most of it in stride and we're both able to laugh it off. Should he have to though? Won't that get a little old? 

Then I read farther. Telling the world to wait and remembering that I am managing blessings are now two things on my list of ways to deal with my icky feelings. 

Seriously, the world. Um...why do I care so much? I should be looking up for my guidance, not out. Out is for something totally different. 

And then the pang of guilt remembering how extremely blessed I am. My husband is a wonderful man. My son? Healthy, happy and growing. How many mother's would give their own lives to have that from their child just once more. How many women would trade every bit of their life with mine? I think this is really the one that gets me. I get a lump in my throat. 

What this really looks like to me? Not getting upset about the little stuff...and it's all little stuff. Really...life, limb or eyesight. (When we were in ministry with the youth, that was our rule. If it doesn't cost your life, a limb or your eyesight...we're good to go. We included, if you can explain it in a court of law. But that's a different post all together.) 

Do I need to stress about the things I am stressing about? Nope. Why? Because the unchangeable I AM has my back. The one that created everything with a word...has everything under control, even if I don't understand or like it very much at the time. 

My child may not be in school, I may not be in school...but I think this is a good time to set a new precedent. Don't you?

Abba, Thank you for keeping me in check. I know I stomp my feet sometimes and get out of sorts. Help me to change little by little, day by day to become that new self you've made me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment