Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Daily Dose - The "Perfect" Cup of Coffee - Kathi Lipp

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33 (NIV)

 This particular devotion hits me right between the eyes. You all know I'm a recovering Control Addict. Yes, I'm still working on it. More times than I'd like to admit, I find myself pushing forward, past all the things that matter, to "get it all done".

B likes to joke that, "we must not deviate from the plan" and he's right. I make plans and many times there isn't anything fluid to them. I'm aware of it though and have tried to make an effort to just go with the flow. Sometimes, ok many times, I fail.

Kathi gives us 3 ideas to help us through the need for perfection, and they're awesome. I'm all about being a rebel. :)

However, I feel like this problem is even deeper. How often do we find ourselves, our churches, running toward what perfection looks like to us than running toward what perfection looks like to Jesus. Do you know how much of the Bible is about how much God loves us and how he likes the way he made us? How our neighbors are to be loved for themselves, not judged for what they don't do the way we would.

How do we pull ourselves out of the superficial and back to incarnational living? I think Kathi's last idea is going to be key.

Rebel. It won't be easy, but as the key verse today notes, we WILL have trouble. God knew it, the moment humanity had to be kicked out of the garden, we sealed that door. We aren't guaranteed ease, we're guaranteed new and everlasting life. A wonderful, love filled life by way of Christ's blood. Let an f-bomb slip? Covered. Told that little white lie? Covered. See, Jesus didn't just die for our sins before we met him, he died for our humanity in life with him.

So, let's rebel against what we're told is the right way. Let's start diving into the word of God so deeply that we can't help but find his truths. Let's open our hearts so fully to the Holy Spirit leading us, that we can't help but reach out and affect others. Let's show our lives openly, so that others can truly know they're not alone. There's a broken and bleeding world waiting for the hope that we keep tucked tightly into our hands when we start focusing more on what the world wants as perfection.

Here are some other encouraging verses for you to meditate on (don't forget to read the verses above and below):

Colossians 3:15, "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful." (NIV)

Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!" (NLT)
Let's be rebels together shall we? :) Let me know what you're doing to rebel and I'll let you know what I'm doing. 
 Let God's light shine!
M :)

No comments:

Post a Comment