Thursday, September 18, 2014

Daily Dose - What We Miss When We Rush - Lysa Terkeurst

"Yours, LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours." 1 Chronicles 29:11a (NIV)

This one made me tear up. As I find myself telling my little boy to give me just a second more before I pick him up and trying to get everything done, I'm found guilty of rushing.

To what end I'm not quite sure. My home looks as clean as it did before, my dishes are as done as they were before, my laundry is as used as it was before. My point is that this devotion hit a chord for me.

I have to slow down, and sometimes I'm really good at recognizing that. Sometimes I have blinders on and press through no matter what. There are things that need my attention more than the things on my list. (Yes, I still have lists, it's how I function people. Though I don't have nearly as many)

I keep myself to this weird standard that nobody else expects of me. The power, glory, majesty, and splendor is God's, not mine. So why do I feel I need to measure up? Everything is His, sure, I'm given stewardship over some of it, but it's still not mine.

When did we become more about what people think and glory from others over what we're doing for God and what He thinks? I'd rather have a ,"well done my good and faithful servant" than a "that is so cool and you're so amazing" any day. So, why don't I always act like it?

Because I'm human and the fall caused a hole in me and sometimes I think that what will make me feel better is praise and admiration from others. So, I push...I rush...I control.

In the end, I really need that calming love. I need to stop and appreciate the majesty, the power, and the splendor. God saw that it was all good, and yes, our fall has put a little fog on the window, but it's still good and you can find God in so many places if you just stop and look.

I need to remember that my life isn't just about me, it's not about what people think of me, it's about what people will think of my Father through my actions. If they're not full of love and care, then what are people going to think of the one that I say I follow?

Here's my challenge for you: take a moment to think about all the daily things you take for granted (I'm not feeling well, so I have to do this a little more today.) Now, go appreciate these things. Take a moment out of your schedule and go really appreciate them. Even if it's the breath that you woke up with this morning. Sit and breathe. :)

In all His love,
M :)

No comments:

Post a Comment