Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Tasty Tuesday pt. 1: Oat Milk

Good morning! I thought doing my twofer at two different times made sense and that making milk in the morning make even more sense. :)

This recipe is very simple. It does require a blender, however, it's worth the little time it does take. I'm lactose intolerant. I've found ways to get around the sensitivity with cheese and yogurt, but never with milk. I do drink Lactaid sometimes. I've found I prefer alternative milks now. :)







Oat Milk

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked steel cut oats ( you can use rolled oats as well, I just prefer steel cut for the creamy factor)
Water to cover

Soaked oats
3 cups cold filtered water
2 to 4 dates, optional

Directions:
1. Place oats in a bowl, cover with water. Allow for an inch or so of water over the top of the oats. This will allow the oats to absorb as much as they need and help work off the oat goo. It's a protective coating that you want to wash off. This needs to sit anywhere from one hour (with warm water) to over night (with cool water) I like to let it sit over night.
2. Strain and rinse oats.
3. Add soaked oats and 3 cups of water to your blender. If you want sweet milk, add some dates. If not, leave them out. :)
4. Blend on a medium high setting for 4 or 5 minutes. Not enough to heat it, but just to pulverize all the oats.
5. Strain twice through fine mesh. I let the milk sit between strainings and the mealy part tends to settle to the bottom making the straining process easier. I do also keep the oat meal that comes from this and put it into oat and date breakfast bars. :)
6. Pour into container and allow to chill. I use a mason jar with lit.

You should use this over the next week. :)

Voila! It's done. It does have an oatey taste when you drink it straight, but I like the flavor it adds to cereal and tea. :)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment