Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Calm Before the Storm

Ok, so that title is a little ominous. Though that's what it kind of feels like. Tomorrow I will cook my first Thanksgiving feast. Brian and I are hosting Thanksgiving for a couple friends and possibly Dad and Annie. Yeah...first turkey...ever.

So, instead of freaking out, I thought I'd come here and share the recipes that are going to make Thanksgiving happen at our place.

Turkey:
I'm not stuffing the bird, no jokes about it will be possible. I am doing a couple things with it though.
Inside:
1 Orange quartered
1 Onion quartered
1 Spice bundle (Rosemary, thyme and basil)
2 tbs melted butter with garlic and lemon
Outside:
Olive oil under skin rub
Possibly putting bay leaves under the skin as well
Cooking:
Breast down until the last 20 minutes

We shall see :) I am now the proud owner of a fresh 12 pound turkey, a turkey pan with rack and a meat thermometer. Yeah, I'm set

Sides:
Mashed Potatoes - the family recipe is boiled diced potatoes with butter, salt, pepper and milk mashed to a pulp. I may take some creative license with that. Pot roasted potatoes, garlic and onion, olive oil...mashed to a pulp. I'll finally get to use the potato masher!
Green Bean Casserole - I've never actually made this. My grandma never had it on the table, my mom never cooked it...but I do believe my Bonus Mom made it some time last year and I really liked it. We were blessed with a basket of goodies by a group at church and have the green beans and cream of mushroom...so why not?
Yams - not going to be candied, possibly caramelized. I'm hoping to roast them with onion and bacon and olive oil. It's kind of...an experiment. I'm looking for the recipe online. I'll post it when I find it :)
Rolls - not even going there trying to make rolls and a turkey, we're doing Hawaiian King Rolls :) mmmm
Cranberry Sauce - from scratch y'all! Oh yes, it's one of my favorite things to make, and eat really. I'll post all the fun recipes once I've made them and have times. I do have this one somewhere in my cookbooks :)

Dessert:
Pumpkin Rolls - These are to DIE for. Brian makes them and they're like little bits of pumpkin heaven! Pumpkin bread with cream cheese filling. Oh, yes...it's amazing! I'll post the recipe, don't you worry ;)
Cranberry Scones - a mix given to us in the basket, I'm actually kind of excited to try them!
Possiby - Chocolate Pie - Grandma always makes one, and I've been in charge of them...so I'm not sure. We'll see.

Beverages:
Lemonade, tea, wine. Coffee and hot tea.

There you go, now you know what's I'm doing for dinner tomorrow...what are you doing?

I'll be back to my daily dose here shortly. Getting back on a set schedule and trying to feel better. ;)  Are you ready for the season of reason?

Lastly, thankfulness.

I am so completely blessed by the wonderful husband I have. Through the past year, I can't even explain the things we've learned and grown through. He is such an amazing man and growing so much in Christ. He's my hero :)
I am equally blessed by the family I have. Both blood family and the people I consider my family. Being able to be close to my family members up here. I've gotten to see my uncle, aunt and cousins more in the past year than I have in a very long while and I absolutely cherish it. I can not wait to see them more as life settles into a routine. Our new found family in Christ, not so very new as we've been with them more than a year now. It is amazing how, looking back, you can see the way God moves to put you where He wants you to be. I would not change my church family for anything. They are supportive and loving and accepting in ways that still amaze me. The friendships we have with people at the game store Brian now works at also fall in to this family category. I miss them when they are not around and enjoy opening our home to have them over to play games and eat together. There were some big holes in our lives when we moved and left everyone in LA and those holes have found residents now. Our friends and family in LA can not be replaced, but we can make new rooms to accommodate the people we've been blessed to encounter.
I am blown away by the position I am in. To have a job at all right now is a blessing, to have something that I enjoy and that challenges me is even better. There are always bumps in the road, but God willing, those bumps end up making us stronger. I feel like we've come so far as a company this year and I am proud to have been there when things were growing and changing :)

I am also thankful for those of you visiting my blog. I don't know who you are and I really don't know why you're reading, but I hope that somehow, you find something that you encourages you and builds you up. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling and helps in taking one more step on this journey.

Until next time (Probably Friday with recipes ;))
M

No comments:

Post a Comment