Friday, December 23, 2011

Daily Dose: The Rich Home - Sharon Glasgow

See, I told you I would get better about this. :)

Today is full of distraction for me...we're packing to travel down to see our families this weekend. You may be thinking to yourself that a self-admitted control freak like myself must have everything under control. Well, you'd be wrong. When I pack I like to do it at least a day ahead of time. I like to write out the outfits that I plan to pack and put them in my duffle in the order in which I will wear them. That didn't happen this time. My week has been clouded with being tired and having a ton of other things to do. I barely finished the Christmas cards for my coworkers last night in my insomnia ridden wee hours.

When I started reading this devotional, I was tempted to just skim through it, smile and nod and then I would have done what I needed to, my mind would have been able to go back to what it was worrying over. That's not what my Heavenly Father wanted from me, it's never what He wants from me when I'm spending time with Him.

“Now when the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the Lord, she came to test him with hard questions.” I Kings 10:1 (NKJ)

This is the first piece of scripture Sharon gives us to digest as she talks about the length of the trip the Queen took to seek knowledge about Solomons' God. Of course that nagging feeling that I knew exactly what she was talking about made me start to cringe. I thought to myself, "Ok God, I know...I'm not making the time I should with you." right as she came to her point about opening our Bibles and actually looking for the knowledge there.

Her second point sticks in my side. I'm the one visiting people this Christmas season, but what she's saying is that we shouldn't be worried about how clean and prepared we are for this weekend...we should be worried about showing people Christ, especially this time of year. With all my planning and need to set things out, am I showing people the love that runs my cup over? Sure, for Thanksgiving and many weekends, we open our home to our friends, we try to be there to listen, to talk or just to hang out...but what about right now with the crazyness we're experiencing right now planning this trip? My next question to myself is, "how do I change it?" I'm not sure...but I do know that God has given me a love to share, not to hide behind my human vices.

So, my prayer is a little different than the one at the end of the devotion. It goes something like this, "Abba, I'm a mess. You still love me and help me, like the gentle Father you are. Help me to show people that love through my actions and words this weekend. Let our families and friends see You more than us as we celebrate the greatest gift ever given, Christ. Help me remember that it's not about the food or anything else, but about that silent, holy night when a baby came to fulfill prophecy and save the world. "

Can I challenge you? Traveling or receiving travelers, can you just show love? Yes, make the mashed potatoes and candied yams...but remember the real reason you're making them.

Love,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment