Thursday, August 22, 2013

Daily Dose: Messy Marriage - Lysa TerKeurst

"But blessed is the man who trusts me, God, the woman who sticks with God." Jeremiah 17:7 (MSG)

I will admit...I've read this and avoided writing about it. I hemmed and hawed with the screen open as I went about going to a doctor appointment I couldn't actually be seen at, through feeding my little guy and putting him down for a nap...yeah...I thought about it. I didn't write about it.

The reason? I am a dirty orange juice slinger. Well, it hasn't been orange juice. Usually a towel, or my phone. (Good thing there's a case on it!)

Oh I get so mad sometimes and let me tell you, I have a TEMPER. Sure, I'm sunshiney most days, however, when the mood arrives, you better believe there are storm clouds and a torrent of thunder comes out of my mouth toward my husband before I can even bat an eye. And then I  try to suck it all in and make it like it didn't happen. I know that I don't need to talk like that to him just because he's said something hurtful to me. And I don't say hurtful things to people I love...I'm just...a little too blunt. Feel my wrath!

Ew.

Then God kind of taps me on the shoulder with His Holy finger and gives a look that can only be, "really? YOUR wrath? Hmm...that's funny, I thought the whole wrath thing was on me." But He doesn't have to say a word.

I have a prayer journal. One of my on going prayers, that I try to pray every day (ok, a couple times a day) is that God would give me the knowledge of when to speak and when to shut up and pray. (Yes, I use the words shut up when I'm talking to God...we're close like that)

My husband is better at grace than I am. I'm dead serious. Though he gets his dander up, he's usually the one to wrap his arms around me first (especially when I've got my tail tucked between my legs and am averting my words and eyes at all expense because I KNOW I've not asked God what to do).

So. Maybe I don't soak my kitchen in OJ, but maybe I do soak it in words that aren't necessary.

I think, maybe, I should stick to things that are easy to clean up...or you know, nothing at all. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment