Thursday, January 20, 2011

You're about to get a double dose!

So, I started the blog for a day or so ago and never posted it (please read: I walked away, ate dinner and then passed out)

So, here's the dose for today and then I'll post the one from the other day.

Today's Title: Role Reversal
Today's Scripture: Matthew 12:30

Wendy speaks of being a control freak and that tendency expressing itself as trying to make her husband into the spiritual leader she thought he should be. Instead of being quiet and listening and watching God work, she thought she could make it happen.

At this point in the devo...I felt so convicted.

As I was reading, I was in the car with B...he was actually driving me to work this morning. I decided to use that time to read, as I totally feel it when I don't do my devo until late. I read through the information and then a huge knot of guilt twined itself in my throat.

Had I been doing the same thing? Trying to form B into what I thought he needed to be as a spiritual leader. I know that I try to encourage him in his strengths, but do I always just pray and get out of the way? Nope!

She also talks about the fact that she wasn't doing this just with her husband. That there were people that she felt she could work in their lives.

How often does this happen? We pray and then we set to work thinking that we can get it done. God is the ultimate worker. He works on people through us, not the other way around.

I'm thinking this may turn into something on a daily prayer list. That I will remember to listen to the Holy Spirit, to be quiet and wait for those alerts.

B is an amazing man...he puts up with me doesn't he? LOL Seriously though, he works hard, he has an amazing heart for sharing Christ and seeing God touch people's lives. Does he always do it in the most time efficient and societally correct way? No...but that's part of why I love him and changing those parts of him would change who God made him.

I don't want to change him, I want God to work in him. I don't want to change the people I know and love, I want Jesus fill me up so much, that they can't help but be touched by Him. I want the people I care about to be loved by me...not chastised.

So...are we in this together? Can we let go of the controls and step aside so that God can do His thing?

The scripture for today notes, if we're not working with Him, we're working against him...

M

No comments:

Post a Comment