Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Bill Cosby and other ponderings...

I'm having cookies for breakfast. Not because I'm a rebel (although I am...and I have a cause. What now James Dean?!), but because they have nutrition...and I'm an adult. LOL As a child we are told that we can NOT have cookies, cake or pie for breakfast. Hmm...really? We'll feed our kids sugary cereal, pancakes drenched in syrup and cinnamon buns...but not cookies? What? Ok, so these aren't regular cookies. They're Danish Butter Cookies. The kind you find in the big 5 lb tin (not an exaggeration, I'm serious, it weigh 5 lbs!).

This is how I happened to have cookies for breakfast:

I went into the kitchen with a growling in my tummy (which is really just air and gas bubbles, but that's a whole different blog) looking for something yummy to eat. Staring at me was the shiny red tin tub the cookies reside in. I looked squinty eyed at the treats, thinking to myself, "THAT is not on the eating plan and if we're going to keep dropping pounds and keep them off, then we need to stay on the plan missy!" FAIL.

Me: "I kind of really want to have some of those cookies for breakfast..."
Dad: "Oh, but they're being blocked!" as he takes off the lid.
Me: "Yeah, but I shouldn't have them..."
Dad: "These want to be breakfast." Handing me a little fluted paper cup with three sugared cookies to me. "Oh and these" another set of cookies, though this time without sugar, "...but they need this." He went to the cupboard and got out the peanut butter.
Me: "Well yes, that's protein...and those are flour, and milk, and eggs...THAT'S NUTRITION!"

It was NOT chocolate cake. I did have about 3 oz of yogurt and some morning tea. Not to fear. The point I hope I'm making, is that, I think we've kind of got it a little wrong. Those little cookies, though cookies, are still probably better for me than Lucky Charms or Cookie Crisp. I added peanut butter and only had 6 small cookies. I added yogurt and would have had an apple too. Balance. Moderation. I think those are important to remember when feeding ourselves. Now I'll have to make a choice when I have kids...to let them have their cake (for breakfast) and eat it to?

M

No comments:

Post a Comment