Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Daily Dose

Good morning!

So, today I'm a bit tired after a night of not feeling well. B is a champ. Though he doesn't work today so I'm thankful that my getting up so often didn't keep him from sleep that he needed. He's a trooper...he had a want to be intimate and I had a want to puke. It was not a good combination...but he cuddled me and kept me warm. :)

Now, the devotion for the day? Ok!

Devotion Scripture: 1 Peter 2:9 Title: You're the one that I want!

Being Christmas time, this particular devotion centers around the first tree this writer picked out with her husband. With a baby on the way and in college, they didn't have much to be able to spend. The tree lot down the street marked all the trees down and they were able to afford it. She agonized over which tree was just right. The sun went down and the lot started to close, there was not enough light to see the trees. She felt hopeless in the darkness.

Her husband pulled the car around and shined it into the trees...there in front of her was the tree she wanted. It wasn't perfect in every way shape and form...but it was perfect for her. She draws a parallel between her and her tree and Jesus and us. He shined a light into all our darkness and called us all out. He wanted us!

I feel so not perfect most of the time. I can tell you what I'm not doing right and how I should change. I'm my own worst critic...and yet, the Savior of the World wants me. Little, not doing anything with her life, all lower case...me.

I've been thinking a lot about why I don't have a lot of very deep friendships and I think it's b/c I'm not good at making friends as an adult. When I was a kid, I made friends like it was nothing, even into being a teen. I still talk to people. In fact most people would tell you I'm very out going and a 'people person'. So, what's changed. My dearest friend Norma and I met in geography class at NHS. Oh man, that seems like so long ago. I don't even know how we became good friends b/c I don't remember it happening. I can't remember what I did or how I acted to have been blessed to have Norma as one of my very best friends to this day. There have been quite a few rough patches and no one is perfect. I don't text or call as much as I should, but she doesn't hold it against me. Did I do the same thing in high school? LOL I don't remember. My point being, that I'm not able to know how I did it or how to replicate it for adulthood. I feel myself wanting and needing for that deep friendship from other women. I am very blessed by the women's group that I've only gone to twice. I just don't know how to reach out...and that seems SO silly. Me? Not able to talk to people? Pshaw! But, I can't. (side note: those people that have known me forever, I do talk to you guys...about everything...which is kinda scary to realize)

Even with this huge flaw, Jesus wants me. He wants me.

The application step for this particular devo is to paraphrase 1 Peter 2:9 so that it is more personal. She shared her paraphrase...but she kept one part that really strikes a chord in me.

"...that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." (NIV)

We are chosen and made holy. We belong to God. And because of this, we 'may' declare the praises of God. I don't know why this hit me so hard. It's like saying, "All joking aside guys, you're the ones I want to praise me to be holy and to be MINE."

Wow. Impact noted.

Reflection: Have you ever felt rejected or forgotten? Tell God today about the gaps in your heart. Ask Him to heal the broken places that leave ou feeling unwanted. As Him and show you how He sees you - holy and dearly loved - chose and belonging to Him.

I do believe that has been accomplished. God is so good. He knew before I knew what I was going to ask...and He showed me :)

Power Verses:
Isaiah 43:1b
Isaiah 43:4

They both make me smile. :)

M

No comments:

Post a Comment